Author: Alex Recker
Oliebollen, fried eggy donuts, are traditionally served in the Netherlands around New Year's Eve. Gelukkig nieuwjaar!
- milk (500 ml)
- yeast (1.5 tsp)
- sugar (2 tbsp)
- all purpose flour (500 g)
- salt (0.5 tsp)
- egg (1)
- oil (excess)
- Microwave milk until lukewarm. Stir in yeast and sugar, and set aside.
- Sift flour into a large mixing bowl. Carefully pour in the milk and gently mix with a rubber spatula.
- Crack an egg into the bowl and gently mix again. Cover the bowl with foil or plastic and set aside for an hour.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan to 320-350F.
- Dip two metal spoons in the oil to prevent batter from sticking. Using a scooping motion, form a small pillow of dough and gently drop it into the oil.
- Fry until golden brown, turn occasionally. Serve with finishing sugar.