Author: Alex Recker
Rissa's sandwich, Marissa's favorite open faced turkey and swiss sandwich, has been a staple of our quarantine lunches. Best served with a beer and a little pile of goldfish crackers.
Makes two open faced sandwiches.
- fresh sourdough bread (2 slice)
- dijon mustard
- swiss cheese (2 slice)
- garlic (~4 cloves)
- red pepper flakes
- olive oil (4 tbsp)
- balsamic vinegar (1 tbsp)
- green cabbage (half a head)
The Cabbage Salad
At the heart of the sandwich is a tangy cabbage french salad. It keeps for a few days in the fridge, and it works best in a medium sized tupperware container - something you can shake vigorously.
- Add sliced garlic to tupperware container along with olive oil, balsamic vinegarm, salt, pepper, and a few shakes of red pepper flakes.
- Slice the cabbage and add to the tupperware container. Just before assembling the sandwich, shake thoroughly to form the dressing and combine with the vegetables.
- Start with two slices of fresh sourdough bread. Smear them both with mayo and dijon mustard.
- Add a slice of swiss cheese to each.
- Add a mound of cabbage salad to each slice.
- Seal the top of the sandwich with a large slice of turkey.